Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Mrs. Turley

When my children go to school this is the Mother who loves them there.

I have two children, Mollie and Christian who have gone to the Jr. High where Mrs. Turley is the choir director.

Only, she is much more than a choir director. She is like a mother who takes hundreds of students under her wings every year, at a time in their lives when school can sometimes be the most difficult.
Let's face it, sometimes their own mothers have difficulty wanting to put their wings around them.
Did I really just Admit that?
Honestly the students are wanting to grow and experience new things and don't want their mother hovering over them.

This is where Mrs. Turley enters the picture, like an earthbound angel she guides them, cares for them, corrects them, laughs with them, and becomes a confidant as they grow into fine young women and young men.

She does not, in my opinion, try to be their "best friend" NO, she is so much more. She knows her place and fills it with light, encouragement, and tremendous amounts of love for Jr. High Students. I know for a fact, because I am the mother of two of her students, that she does not always feel the warmth of her reward instantly. She is patient and giving and long suffering with a teenagers moods. I have tried to learn from her and I am grateful to have reaped the rewards of her gifts.

Last night, in a High School choir concert, Mrs. Turley was honored by one of her former students.
He, Justin, had arranged one of the most beautiful folk songs I know, "Homeward Bound" and dedicated the song to his Jr. High Choir teacher.
It was a moving and appropriate tribute to a woman, an angel, a mother to hundreds, who has given so much.

We Love You Mrs. Turley!

REAL STRENGTH IS

NOT JUST A CONDITION OF

ONE'S MUSCLES, BUT A

TENDERNESS IN

ONE'S SPIRIT.

McCallister Dodds



1 comment:

Turleygirl said...

Hey you, found your blog from FB. I am so impressed with Mrs. Turley as well. Trevon is in one of her choir groups as well. I am so looking forward to the concert tomorrow night.