Wednesday, December 3, 2008

The Question?

Yesterday Mollie asked me an interesting question, to which I am not sure I have the answer. It was something like this...

Mollie: Mom, why can't I watch "Forest Gump," my teacher and my friend laughed at me today when I said I wasn't allowed?

So... side-bar I can't think of the last time she asked to watch that movie, and I can't even name 5 movies I have ever said no to.

Me: Pause... Thinking
Um.. well it has some pretty adult situations in it {gosh, I haven't seen that movie in so long}
It has a lot of war in it honey.

Mollie: MOM... we watched "Band of Brothers"! {o, my heck, how old was she when we all, as a family, watched every dvd, 11? 12? Not to convincing.}

Me: I'll think about it and get back to you about Forest Gump.

I will never forget, the impact of watching Band of Brothers with my family. I remember particularly watching the final episode which was a documentary with the real soldiers who had been portrayed. I bawled unabashedly right there in front of my whole family, moved beyond my ability to express the awe and respect I felt for the sacrifice of these brave men who had been mere boys.

Pearl Harbor Day is this week. I am resolving right now to spend some time sharing how I respect and honor Veteran's with my children and trying to instill tradition in their hearts.

No comments: